Here we go.

17 April 2013

bread or dead

When I was younger, my father advised that I should perhaps consider learning a trade instead of going to college.  He figured it'd suit me better.  Honestly, it's taken me up until very recently to realize that he might be right.  And so.

I don't want my love of baking bread and wanting a new career to become confused and intertwined.  That's just timing.  But, one day, I read this article about Ashton Woodward.  He sounds like a proper learned baker with a healthy dose of mad scientist.  I really like that.  It made me want in.

I asked around for his contact information and managed to obtain his email address.  I  sent him correspondence inquiring if he'd be willing to take me on evenings and weekends, without pay, to learn the trade.  I did not expect a response.  I got one two days later.


Lets talk about this. Its a bigger commitment to learn about bread baking than you may realize. A few short tutorials won't do anything but make you a danger to flour. I am open minded, but this craft requires full immersion to achieve any real skill...I am looking for help currently, but I need someone who is committed.

This job is not easy. It is stressful at times, physical limits are pushed daily. The rewards are worth it; making bread is an experience few people know, and far fewer truly understand. Please know that if you commit to learning with me, I am going to push you just as I once was pushed. I walk in flour covered shoes, apron drawn, hundred hours a week.


This is exactly what I'm seeking.

I am intoxicated by the idea that if you are any good, you can bake bread most anywhere in the world. That's brilliant.  Obviously, I've no aim to strike it rich, but this is about my contentment.

I'm hesitant to write any of this because as of right now, there's nothing going on.  But, it's out there, floating around in the universe.  For now, I'll just do my homework. 

Gorgeous bread footage in this Djangos video:

1 comment:

kmhd said...

They found bread at Pompeii.

Blog Archive